We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will use your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK GDPR (as defined in The Data Protection, Privacy and Electronic Communications Amendments etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 both as amended from time to time (together with the Data Protection Legislation) and other applicable laws and regulations that relate to data protection and privacy.
Who is responsible for your personal information?
We may share your personal information with other organisations that may receive and process your personal information as a data controller. Please see below for further information.
What information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following personal information about you:
• Information that you provide by filling in forms, including those on our website and those on third-party websites that contain advertisements for our vehicles, and information provided by you as part of a purchase or potential purchase on our website, even if that purchase does not proceed.
• A copy of your driving licence when you test drives a vehicle or are provided with a courtesy car or data provided by an online checking service regarding your driving licence and any penalties.
• When you enquire about or purchase a vehicle or services, we collect personal information to respond to your enquiry and to process and complete your purchase.
• Details about the transactions you carry out with us including vehicle support services and vehicle purchases and purchases of other goods.
• CCTV footage in which you feature when you visit our premises.
• Information contained in records of communications between us, including e-mails, letters and text messages. We may also record calls between us for training, monitoring and quality control purposes. Our telephone system is set up in such a way that all calls in and out of our contact centre are recorded. These are kept for a period of 13 months. If a call is made to or from our contact centre but gets transferred to a dealership or another head office department, then the recording terminates at the point of transfer. Calls made directly to or from dealerships are not currently recorded.
• Details of your visits to our website, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data (including the country and telephone area code where your computer is located), IP (internet protocol) address, browser and operating system information, and the resources that you access (including the pages of our website that you view and the website from which you access our website). For more details of how we collect data using cookies, please see the separate cookies policy on our website. You may be able to disable the collection of some of this data by amending the web settings of your device or browser but doing so may impact the functionality of our website
• Details of your device and Google ID if you SMS "sign" or open a document that we send to you by SMS.
• Information concerning your marketing preferences where these rely on consent.
• Information relevant to the insurance products that we sell that are provided by third parties.
• Information from you to enable us to propose you for vehicle finance, as required by the relevant third-party finance company. This will include financial and employment information and verification documents.
• Details of diagnostic tests and work carried out on your vehicle including video footage and records of parts used.
• Some of our sites will use automatic number plate recognition technology to monitor vehicles visiting the site.
• If you follow or comment on social media posts from or shared by the Group, we may collect details that are part of your public profile on social media sites.
• Details regarding your family members if they are provided to us as part of a vehicle purchase, or for example, if another family member is using or collecting your vehicle.
• We may be provided with personal information about you by manufacturers or finance companies if you have purchased a vehicle or enquired regarding a vehicle or work to be done.
• Details supplied by you as part of a competition or prize draw entry.
• Your details and details of your current vehicle when you provide details to us for valuation or obtain a valuation on one of our websites.
• If you sign up for a "Buy Online" account on our website, details of the vehicles that you have searched for, obtained quotations on or saved to your account, as well as details of any part-exchange or current vehicles you provide details of.
There may be circumstances when we collect special categories of personal data regarding your health, sexual orientation or criminal convictions if you provide this information to us as part of a discussion regarding your vehicle or vehicle enquiry. If you use the Motability scheme, we may collect details about your disability and health to administer your application and verify your eligibility for the scheme.
We may collect and process information we receive about you from third parties. This information may include your personal and financial information, your employer, companies that you are connected with (such as a Director) or other person connected with your finance application; information about the vehicle you are purchasing credit information, such as previous applications, the conduct of accounts in your and your financial associates' name (this is anyone linked to you for credit or finance purposes), any business accounts you have and public information such as County Court Judgements, bankruptcies and the Electoral Register.
We may also collect information about your preferences in connection with our website and your activity on our website, for the purposes of enhancing and personalising your experience on the Website. We may provide our manufacturer partners and our advertisers with aggregate information about Website users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisements to that target audience.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information in connection with our business activities. We may use your personal information in the following ways:
• to respond to queries from you regarding the possible purchase of goods or services, including looking at your searches and history on our website prior to an enquiry and combining the data held on our systems with your activity on our Websites and your Google ID;
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered between you and us including the purchase of vehicles and provision of services, and to respond to queries from you regarding those contracts.
• if you have asked for a vehicle valuation from us, to contact you regarding feedback or potential purchase of that vehicle for up to 6 months afterwards.
• to manage and administer the relationships between you and us (or one or more of the members of the All Electric Group);
• to notify you about changes to our services and to otherwise communicate with you; for example, we will use your contact details in order to respond to any queries that you submit to us; and
• to obtain feedback from you regarding us and the manufacturer of your vehicle.
• to provide you with information regarding other services and products that are available to you from us or third parties.
• to provide you with reminders regarding your vehicle including, for example, when your vehicle is due to have a service or MOT undertaken.
• to contact you when you may be able to change your vehicle, including when your finance agreement is due for renewal. In some cases, we will be asked to contact you by a vehicle manufacturer or finance company.
• to help with your transactions with us where you have partially, but not fully, completed an online transaction (i.e., you have provided your details or logged in to your "Buy Online" account but have not completed a reservation or a purchase).
If you enquire about a potential vehicle purchase, lease or hire of a vehicle and/or any goods or services, we will use your information to contact you for up to 3 months about that potential purchase, lease or hire and, in the case of potential vehicles, will ask you to agree for us to carry out a soft credit search (using an external credit reference agency) to enable us to provide you with finance quotes at a rate that matches your credit history. We may then provide your details and credit score to up to 3 lenders if you wish to apply for finance for your purchase. If you go ahead and purchase, lease or hire a vehicle and/or any goods or services from us we will use your information in various other ways, details of which are provided to you at the time of your purchase, lease or hire. These include:
• contacting you to obtain feedback on your purchase or other services provided;
• contacting you in the future with MOT and service reminders if you continue to use our group for servicing/MOT of your vehicle
• contacting you in the future if you may be able to change your vehicle.
If you have a "Buy Online" account, we will use the information contained within it to contact you regarding vehicles you have expressed an interest in, or similar vehicles.
All the above are examples of where we believe that we have a legitimate interest in doing so.
In accordance with your preferences, we may also use your personal information to provide you with additional information about vehicles, services, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you. The preferences set within your "Buy Online" account will apply only to communications sent using that account information and, if you are also a customer of the All Electric Group, you will have separately stored preferences in that capacity. We do not match the information stored in a "Buy Online" account with our customer records.
The section below entitled "What choices do I have?" explains how you can change whether to receive information from us that is based on consent/preferences. Please note that, even if you choose not to receive this information, we may continue to use your personal information in the ways described above and below.
Your personal information may also be used by us, our employees, contractors or agents, and disclosed to third parties, in order to comply with any legal obligation (including in connection with a court order), or in order to enforce or apply the terms of any agreements we have with or otherwise concerning you (including agreements between you and us) to protect our rights, property or safety or those of our customers, employees or other third parties.
In addition, where permitted by law, we may combine the information we hold with information about you or your interests, socio-economic and socio-demographic status, online identifiers and current contact details collected by third parties such as marketing agencies and from public sources.
How do we make decisions using your data?
We will use your information to carry out automated decision-making and profiling in some circumstances. For example, service and MOT reminders will be automatically sent were relevant based on the vehicle and maintenance information we hold. We will also select customers for marketing campaigns and offers based on factors such as the age of the vehicle, type of vehicle finance held and date since last vehicle purchase as well as previous responses to marketing campaigns and Website activity.
Where you enquire about a vehicle, unless you are purchasing on a fixed rate offer, we will ask for consent to carry out a soft credit search using a third-party credit reference agency to obtain a credit score for you. If you agree, this credit score will determine the rate at which we offer vehicle finance to you based on a matrix agreed upon with the relevant finance company from time to time. We will not be able to alter this rate. If you do not agree to a soft credit search, we will offer you vehicle finance using an average finance rate, or you can always purchase a vehicle from us using cash.
We can provide you with the credit score we have obtained for you on request, although this will only be visible to certain colleagues. You will be able to challenge your credit score with the credit reference agency if you believe it is inaccurate.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We will not retain information longer than we need to. In general, if you enquire (in person or by creating a "Buy Online" account) but do not purchase a vehicle from us, we will keep your information for 2 years to enable us to deal with future enquiries more effectively and to deal with any concerns regarding the enquiry process. If you purchase a vehicle from us or have servicing or repair work carried out, or purchase apart from us, we will keep your information (and your "Buy Online" account will remain live) for 7 years from your last transaction with us. We may keep details of a vehicle for longer than that but without it being attached to your information.
With whom do we share your personal information?
In connection with the above uses of your personal information, we may share your personal information with third parties as described below.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in connection with our business activities, including in the following circumstances:
• We may pass your personal information to third-party organisations that provide services to us such as web-hosting companies, mailing vendors, analytics providers, prospecting agencies and marketing agencies, IT and telephone service providers and any third party to whom we sub-contract work (such as repairs or specialist fitting) or who provide services or offers to our customers on our behalf.
• We may share your name and contact details with Facebook and other social media sites to enable them to identify you as a customer of the Group and to assess criteria such as age and location to assist with our marketing on social media. We do not receive any details from Facebook that we do not already hold, and the data would be used in a generic way only to target advertising.
• We may pass personal information to external agencies and organisations (including the police and other law enforcement agencies) for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud (including fraudulent transactions) and criminal activity. We may also disclose personal information to the police and other law enforcement agencies in connection with the prevention and detection of crime.
• We may pass your personal information to Experian and Evolution Funding Limited (or other similar credit agencies) to enable them to provide us with a credit score for you.
• We may pass your personal information including your credit score to third-party finance companies for the purposes of them providing you with finance. Those organisations may carry out further credit checks and may disclose your data to credit reference agencies for that purpose.
• We will pass your personal information to third-party providers of insurance products that we offer if you take up the option of purchasing one of those products.
• We will provide your information to the DVSA if you buy a vehicle from us to record you as the registered keeper and to obtain road tax on the vehicle.
• If you take out a Motor Assured Warranty, we will pass your information to the AA to enable them to provide the breakdown insurance included with that warranty.
• If we sell or buy any business or assets (including car dealerships), we may disclose personal information held by us about our customers to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. If we or substantially all our assets are acquired by a third party (or subject to a reorganisation within our corporate group), personal information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
• We may pass your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (including in connection with a court order), or in order to enforce or apply the terms of any agreements we have with or otherwise concerning you (including agreements between you and us (or one or more members of the All Electric Group); or to protect our rights, property or safety or those of our customers, employees or other third parties;
• We may pass your personal information to the relevant franchise manufacturer partner relating to your vehicle, and in some cases whether you go ahead and purchase the vehicle. They may use this to register your ownership of the vehicle and contact you directly regarding your vehicle and to obtain feedback and/or to provide offers. Most manufacturers will share your information within their group, and this may include information being transferred outside of the EEA. For some manufacturers, we will also ask you whether you consent to further contact from the manufacturer and pass this consent (or lack thereof) to the manufacturer. Further details about specific manufacturer use of your data is set out below.
• If you purchase a Motability vehicle, we will provide your details to Motability Operations Limited to enable them to contact you regarding your vehicle.
We may share non-personal aggregate statistics (group) data about visitors to our website, sales and traffic patterns with members of All Electric and other third parties.
Protecting your personal information
Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure; this risk is not specific to our website and is common across the internet. We cannot guarantee the security of your data (including your personal information) transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk.
What choices do I have?
If you think the personal information, we hold about you is inaccurate or incorrect, you can request that we correct this information (including your marketing preferences) by writing to us using the details below.
You can choose to stop receiving marketing emails or SMS messages from us by following the unsubscribe link and instructions on the respective marketing emails or SMS messages we send you. You can also ask us to stop including you in marketing campaigns using profiling by writing to us using the details below.
You can also choose to change your marketing preferences by writing to us using the details below.
These changes will not prevent all uses of your information (where we believe we have legitimate interests to use it) but if you are concerned about this you can ask us to stop all contact with you.
If you want to stop, contact us relating to your "Buy Online" account you can update your preferences by logging in to your "Buy Online" account. This is a separate process from our main database described above.
Access to your personal information
The Data Protection Legislation gives you the right to access your personal information. To request access to your personal information, please contact us using the details below.
Right to be forgotten
You have the right to request that All Electric delete your personal data in certain circumstances if you would like more information about this, please contact us using the details below. If you have purchased goods or services from us, we will retain details of your purchase for 7 years. If we are unable to delete your data as we believe that we are required to retain it, we will delete as much information as we are able to and will also stop sending you any further information.
We do not pass on any personal information about our visitors to any other site (unless we have obtained your consent to do so). In addition, if you linked to a website from a third-party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third-party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third-party site and contact the owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
If you enter one of our competitions, we require your name, e-mail address and daytime telephone number so we can contact the winner. The competitions are subject to the following terms and conditions. One entry per person. All entrants will be considered, and the winner will be picked at random by the All Electric Marketing team. Winners will be contacted by phone or e-mail after the prize draw. All prizes are non-transferable and non-refundable. Entrants must be 18 years or older to enter and claim a prize from any of our competitions. Unclaimed prizes may be offered to other competition entrants within 48 hours of the first notification to the winner. Competitions run on social media are not endorsed, sponsored, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. If you do not opt-in to receive marketing from us, then your data will be deleted following the outcome of the prize draw.
Transferring your information outside of Europe
As part of the services offered to you through the Website, the information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the United Kingdom and outside the European Economic Area (EEA). By way of example, this may happen if any of our servers are from time to time located in a country outside of the EEA. If we transfer your information outside of the EEA in this way, we will take steps to ensure that it is to a country with data protection laws which are at least as stringent as those in England or we will put in place appropriate safeguards in accordance with our legal obligations to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected irrespective of the country to which it is transferred. These safeguards may include obtaining contractual assurances from any third party given access to your personal information that your personal information will be protected by standards which are equivalent to those that protect your personal information when it is in the EEA.
If you use our services while you are outside the EEA, your information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those services.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
How to contact us
You also have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
We will share your information with the manufacturer of your vehicle when you purchase a new vehicle, and in certain other circumstances. We act as a separate data controller from the manufacturers and on occasion may act as a data processor for the manufacturers. If you want to update your communication preferences with the manufacturers. Further details on how each manufacturer will use your data, and who to contact, are set out below.
Hyundai: If you have enquired about or purchased a new Hyundai vehicle from All Electric Hyundai Stourbridge or Kidderminster, your information will be passed to Hyundai Motor UK Limited. They may also receive data relating to Hyundai used car buyers and Hyundai service or repair, customers. Details of how they use information regarding customers and prospective customers can be found at www.hyundai.co.uk/legal/privacy.
Skoda: If you have enquired about or purchased a new Skoda vehicle from an Electric Skoda, your information will be passed to Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited. They may also receive data relating to Skoda used car buyers and Skoda service or repair, customers. Details of how they use information regarding customers and prospective customers can be found at www.skoda.co.uk/discover/privacy-statement.
(last updated: May 2022)